In the previous blog post, we mentioned that one of the projects we will be tackling at the Ark Encounter is figuring out some of the specifics of what the pre-Flood world may have been like. The world was a very wicked place prior to the Flood, but in the midst of such darkness, God’s creation undoubtedly bore witness to its Creator. How might the creation have demonstrated the handiwork of God’s fingers? We have written out some additional considerations below.
What Were the Earth’s Climate and Geography Like?
- What weather and climates existed at that time?
- Were there subtle environmental indicators of the coming catastrophe?
- Where were the rivers, hills, and seas?
- Did the early earth have jungles, deserts, or savannahs?
- Were there islands?
[caption id="attachment_1074" align="alignnone" width="560"]
A small section of an early concept map of the pre-Flood world[/caption]
What Did the Plants and Animals Look Like?
- What sort of interaction did people have with animals that are now extinct?
- Did people try to use some of the large dinosaurs for various tasks? Were they a nuisance? Were they hunted?
- How lush was the vegetation?
- Did certain plants and animals go extinct prior to the Flood? If so, what might they have looked like?
[caption id="attachment_1073" align="alignnone" width="560"]
Araucaria trees from Chile. Though fairly isolated today, fossils of this genus reveal that it
was proliferous in the pre-Flood world; perhaps even being a food source for sauropod
dinosaurs. Image courtesy of Wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Araucaria_araucana#mediaviewer/File:P.N.Nahuelbuta2.jpg[/caption]
The Bible provides some clues to help us answer some of our questions, but it remains silent on many others. In areas where Scripture is silent and when necessary we will use artistic license to fill in the gaps, but we must be sure that our ideas do not contradict God’s Word in any way.
Please keep the Ark team in your prayers as we continue to develop this unique attraction. Pray that our goal will always be to glorify the Lord. For more information on the Ark Encounter and what we have been working on, please visit arkencounter.com.
Thanks for reading!